Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Inexorable Decline

GOIAB
Growing Old Is A Bugga

Every few weeks you notice some small change .... something that hurts a little more than it used to.... something new that hurts ....

Getting dressed is a little harder .... I notice that if I need to get something off the floor .... I now look round for some tool to scoop it up rather than bending over.

The slow decline happens insidiously ... I just realize "Oh ... I can't do that anymore!"

My left hip hurts .... as this slowly deteriorates I ponder whether I really want to go through the pain and difficulty of a hip operation? In the future will the hip be the crucial factor that "tips the scales"?

I am quite sure that there will come a point when I decide that "I've had enough ... I want to go now."

I hope that this time will be reached after our society has accepted that people really do want to control their own existence.

The thought of attending a clinic ... of being able to simply press a button and go to sleep .... This would be so much better than having to escape with car and hose .... Or the mess and indignity of a noose .... Or the uncertainty and pain of drug overdose.

Maybe a trip to Europe ....


No comments:

Post a Comment